Thursday, November 6, 2008

Reflections and project updates

It has been a while since my last post, and a lot has happened. In addition to working on a wide variety of projects, I've really been taking the time to explore and get to know the city. What I've found is that as I've begun to better understand New Orleans, I have also come to better understand myself. The past month or so has been an incredible learning experience for me.

The Volunteer Leaders have been busy working on a wide range of projects throughout the city. Here is an update on some of the work that we've been doing:

Women's Rebuild: Jessica and I participated in a day of rebuilding homeowner Mary's house (one of the warmest women I have had the pleasure to meet) with the Saint Bernard Project. As we hung sheetrock, Jess and I fully embraced the motto "a women's place is rebuilding the home."

Biloxi: We spent 5 days in the city of Biloxi, Mississippi, working with Hands On Gulf Coast and Hope Force rebuilding homes.

Crescent City Art Project: Fueled with 1900 volunteers from Starbucks, we team lead a project that created 1400 original paintings which were distributed to 25 schools throughout the Orleans Parish.

Main Street: We got our hands dirty working to restore an abandoned historical building on Oretha Castle Haley Blvd.

Bayou Rebirth: After an educational (and beautiful) canoe trip through the bayou, we team lead a wetland planting in the Lacombe Bayou, working to rejuvenate the damaged wetland infrastructure.

Saint George's: We volunteer on a weekly basis with Saint George's Dragon Cafe, preparing and distributing hot meals to members of the community.

So you see why I said that we've been busy!

I found this quote copied down on a picnic table at Hands On Gulf Coast. I thought it was beautiful, important, meaningful, and above all true. Reflect on it for a minute:

“So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” - Mitch Albom, Tuesdays with Morrie

If you want to get involved, or have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me at rbcohn@gmail.com.

No comments: